The one where I brag on my favorite firstborn. My blog is all about keeping our memories...the good, the bad, the braggy... and lately he's been the neglected child in terms of documentation. So here is the remedy for that.
New kid, at a new school, in a new state, starting 1 month late into the school year. That paired with an upbringing in a house where we routinely use, and therefore he is exposed to and uses, the words butt, fart, crap...you know terrible, horrible, no good, very bad words in the deep, well mannered south. I worried about him. Would he fit in? Would he be polite enough? Should I enforce "sir" and "ma'am" southern manners?
You know, the typical things that a use to be Oregonian mama turned Mississippi mama, should worry about when trying to raise her kid to be successful in a new state, which really feels like a new way of life.
Not only are there southern manners to worry about, but there is also a southern boy attire as well. My Ryker, he's the kid who will be wearing basketball shorts and a screen print t-shirt every.single.day to school among a crew of prime and properly dressed khaki shorted, polo shirted, patent brown leather shoe wearing, southern born and raised Mississippi boys. Nothing wrong with that at all, just not my kid's thing, and I choose my battles, and clothing that is entirely appropriate is not a battle worth fighting. Plus I just can't imagine him dressed in anything else. He is, after all my child. I won't change my clothing/attire quirks just because we picked up and moved to Mississippi ...I will forever be a Birkenstock/Chaco sandal wearing, nose pierced, pony tail sporting, minimal make-up wearing kinda girl. Locations of where you live can change, but that doesn't mean that YOU have to completely change as an individual. So my Ryker Paul wears those basketball shorts and screen print shirts every.single.day. Kid knows his style, and rocks it.
So I always do my best to help him adjust, while still maintaining his unique Ryker-ness, and stay out of trouble at school. Reminding him - "do your best, say please and thank you, and do not use bad words (those being butt and fart)"
Anyway, we are a month in now, which just so happens to be during parent teacher conferences, and I'm told by his teacher "he is a treasure to have in class." All that worrying, and he is adjusting just fine.
Last week he came home with a special treat bag for being the stellar kid in class, as chosen by the teacher aid. That candy bag, his smile, the way he felt for doing good...such a proud moment.
This week he just finished testing for the first part of the year.
I expected him to excel in reading and writing, and place just fine in math given that he missed the first month of school. As his teacher was going over his results with me, I couldn't help but flash a proud smile. He is exceeding 3rd grade coursework for math - which is the highest tested level for 2nd grade. He is reading books above 4th grade comprehension reading level. His writing level is 4th grade.
My favorite of his writing samples that I was able to read, includes his explanation for why he would like to be chosen for a specific classroom "job." His teacher said most kids simply write the job, and then write one word or a simple sentence to explain why they want that job. Ryker's exact written response:
"I wish to earn the job of line leader. I think I can do a good job at line leader because I follow directshuns, stay quiet when I am suppose to and talk when I am suppose to, and always try to do my best. If I get to be the line leader, I will make sure to try and get kids to stay the color purple all day long because that is the best. I hope I get chosen. Please let me be line leader. Thank you."
Future politician, maybe? Either way, the kid is a charmer, and good at convincing.
FYI - his explanation about getting kids to stay the color purple stems from their daily agenda. It comes home with a colored smiley face, a visual way to communicate to parents how his day at school went. To be honest, I only know that purple is great and blue is good. I'm not sure of any other colors because we haven't seen any smile faces other than purple and two blue so far.
His teacher also said "Ryker is so fast, the fastest kid out on the playground. That little boy can run, and for a long, long time. He does such a good job containing his energy and using it in productive, healthy way during the school day. He even encourages other kids to join in."
Coming from a kid who has to constantly move around when I help him with homework each night, (hopping on one foot as he spells a spelling word) this amazes me. I totally anticipated a report that he is "high energy and frigidity" especially given the less than favorable amount of recess/physical education time in the public school systems in Mississippi for him to expel his energy.
Also, knowing what I know about his room for improvement in coordination skills (he still has yet to successfully ride a bike without training wheels - part lacking coordination, part lacking in patience, and most struggling in stubbornness), it is nice to hear he has athletic skills. I think that his quickness and endurance in running is going to be his athletic strong point. Future cross country/long distance runner just like his mama/daddy maybe?
Either way, yesterday was a mama proud moment. Always so good to hear your love is adjusting and thriving after you forced so many hard changes on him.
Kids are resilient.
My Ryker, he is resilient.
So lucky, so proud.
Oh, and he is totally just 2 weeks shy of 8 years old. 8 YEARS OLD!?! How did that happen?


1 comment:
It is always so weird for me when he turns another year older because I remember reading about the day he was born so well back when Xanga was cool, lol. I'm so happy that he's adjusting well & doing so great in class. I'm not surprised though. I think it's awesome that he still wears what he likes and feels comfortable in even if it's not what every other kid is wearing at school. He's still Ryker no matter which state he lives in. :)
Post a Comment