A quick kiss goodbye to his family, and he is off on his way.
First stopping for a picture that must document this momentous occasion. I tell him to lose the cheese ball smile, and quickly try to pick up scattered toys to sort of hide away the background mess. I love how the newborn diapers are still in the picture, evidence of my husband's amazing ability to really handle it all...the birth of a third baby, a post-partum hormonal wife, two rowdy boys, and his dissertation defense all in the past 3 weeks.
"There is an umbrella in the car" or so he said. So I didn't second guess it. I loaded up sweet J in the car with time to spare for walking all over campus to find the library, and then room 1420...the room where a graduate student would earn the hard worked for title of PhD!
I got in the car, the umbrella wasn't there.
and it is Oregon.
It doesn't rain here. It pours.
So I had to stop to buy an umbrella, and hope I'd make it to his presentation in time. We park at the stadium, I quickly put J in the sling and power walk, frequently checking my phone to see the time.
12:56, 12:57, 12:58...
I make it to the library, fumble around and finally land in room 1420. A hot, sweaty mess with a newborn who needs nursed.
He greets me, points to the chair he saved for me, and then gives me his water. What a testimate to his greatness. He takes care of me, during his huge moment. A moment he has studied and prepared for since he started his college journey fall 2001.
He stood in the corner of the room, his nervousness hidden behind his suit and his smile. He starts off speaking quickly, I wonder if anyone else notices. After the title slide he relaxes and it is smooth sailing from there.
and I am so thankful to be there, in that moment with him.
He has come such a long way. We have come such a long way. It seems like forever ago that we stood in my grandparents kitchen jumping up and down in excitement as he opened up his acceptance letter.
Now tonight we get to jump up and down in excitement as we celebrate his last day as a graduate student and his first day as Dr. Paul Loprinzi, PhD!
I am so very proud of you...Dr. P-Lo! Now take some time to relax, and lose the cheese ball smile!
2 comments:
Hurray!! :D
Congrats!!! I know you all have worked so very hard to be where you are at today. So happy for you all.
C
Post a Comment